The Bottom Line
Like the riddle that the title implies, MacLean's book untwists the vineyard's answers to the "hows" and "whys" of making and drinking great wines.
- An entertaining read to expand your wine experience
- Great firsthand stories of some of the wine world's most intriguing personalities
- Written with a ready wit and contagious humor that will break a smile on every page
- A welcoming read for those new to the world of wine
- Also offers knowledge and depth to completely engage experienced wine enthusiasts
- Only con, comes when you reach the end of the book...you'll wish it was just a few chapters longer!
- Author: Natalie MacLean
- Publisher: Bloomsbury, 2006
- 279 pages
- Cost: $23.95
- Book is available at local bookstores, Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble, and Half.com
Guide Review - Book Review
This is not your typical wine book. Nope this one zealously offers the lowdown on the world of wine. From an interview with Robert Parker and time spent at Bonny Doon Vineyard with Randall Grahm - MacLean brings you face to face with some of the most prominent figures in the wine industry today. She introduces you to the personalities that create the wines of our times, the people who offer both the philosophies and the integrated sciences that make wine what it is and what it can be. Poetry, science, wit and wine wisdom all melded into one consolidated book, for your reading and educating pleasure!
MacLean takes a hands-on approach to both her research and her writing, producing an engaging tale of how, when, where and why grapes go from vine to glass (and just which glass to use with which wine). She goes to work harvesting grapes; checking out the ins and outs of Champagne houses in France; discerning the wine critics evaluations; peeking into wine pricing; selling wine for a day at a local merchant's shop; playing sommelier for a night at a five-star restaurant; discussing glassware with Riedel; hosting an at home wine tasting and the adventure goes on - the best part is MacLean takes you with her on the entire wine adventure, allowing the reader to experience the inner circle of the world of wine.